The North West of England includes the counties of Cheshire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Merseyside. So are these areas primarily supplied by hard or soft water? Let’s take a look!
What is the scale of hardness?
We can categorise water hardness into 3 different groups, the ppm stands for parts per million and refers to the amount of calcium carbonate and magnesium present in the water:
Soft to moderately soft water – 1 -100ppm
Medium to moderately hard water- 100-200ppm
Hard to very hard water – Over 200 ppm
Water is hard when it runs through or sits in areas with high mineral content. Water taken from certain sources is much more likely to be hard. Groundwater sources such as underground aquifers are a prime example of a hard water source.
Does Cheshire have hard water?
Cheshire has medium to moderately hard water and is supplied by United Utilities.
Does Cumbria have hard water?
The water in Cumbria is classed mostly from soft to moderately soft. Cumbria is supplied by United Utilities.
Does Greater Manchester have hard water?
Water in Greater Manchester is classed as soft to moderately soft. The water here is supplied by United Utilities
Does Lancashire have hard water
Lancashire has soft to moderately soft water and is supplied by United Utilities.
Does Merseyside have hard water
Merseyside has medium to moderately hard water and is supplied by United Utilities.
Which Water suppliers are active in this region?
There is only 1 water supplier across the North West region. We’ll take a quick look at where they source their water from.
United Utilities: 92% of the supply from United Utilities is taken from rivers and reservoirs, with the remaining 8% coming from boreholes and aquifers.
The North West has mostly soft water, with some areas of moderate hardness. This means there can be some variation in the water supplied depending on the area. If you are moving to the North West or already live there and do have limescale issues then you may want to look into a way to treat your water.