The West Midlands include the counties of Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Midlands and Worcestershire. So are these areas primarily supplied by hard or soft water? Let’s take a look!
What is the scale of hardness?
We can categorise water hardness into 3 different groups, the ppm stands for parts per million and refers to the amount of calcium carbonate and magnesium present in the water:
Soft to moderately soft water – 1 -100ppm
Medium to moderately hard water- 100-200ppm
Hard to very hard water – Over 200 ppm
Water is hard when it runs through or sits in areas with high mineral content and water taken from certain sources is much more likely to be hard. Groundwater sources such as underground aquifers are a prime example of a hard water source.
Does Herefordshire have hard water?
Herefordshire has has medium to moderately hard water and is supplied by Severn Trent Water and Dwr Cymru.
Does Shropshire have hard water?
The water in Shropshire is classed as medium to moderately hard. Shropshire is supplied by Severn Trent Water.
Does Staffordshire have hard water?
Water in Staffordshire is classed as medium to moderately hard. The water here is mostly supplied by two water companies, Severn Trent Water and South Staffordshire Water.
Does Warwickshire have hard water
Warwickshire has medium to moderately hard water and is supplied by Severn Trent Water and South Staffordshire Water.
Does West Midlands county have hard water
Water in West Midlands County is classed as medium to moderately hard. It is supplied by Severn Trent Water.
Does Worcestershire have hard water?
Worcestershire has medium to moderately hard water and is supplied by Severn Trent Water and South Staffordshire Water.
Which Water suppliers are active in this region?
There are 3 different water suppliers across the West Midlands region. We’ll take a quick look at each of them and where they source their water from.
Dwr Cymru (Welsh Water): 95% of Dwr Cymru’s water comes from surface water, primarily reservoirs and river abstractions.
Severn Trent Water: Two thirds of Severn Trents water comes from groundwater sources, the remaining third is taken from surface water sources.
South Staffordshire Water: 60% of South Staffs water comes from the Blithfield Reservoir and the River Severn. The remaining 40% is taken from groundwater sources.
The West Midlands have water of middling hardness. All of the counties in the area have similar water taken from a mixture of groundwater and surface water sources. This means there can be some variation in the water supplied depending on the area. If you are moving to the West Midlands or already live there and are fed up with the limescale you may want to look into a way to treat your water.