How to Get Rid of Limescale without Harsh Chemicals
Limescale is a common problem in households, especially in areas with hard water and can be a real nuisance in the home, leaving surfaces looking dull and unsightly. It is a build-up of mineral deposits, primarily calcium and magnesium, on surfaces such as taps, showerheads, and kitchen appliances. It’s also notoriously difficult to remove, especially if you’re trying to avoid using harsh chemicals. But don’t worry – there are plenty of natural ways to get rid of limescale without resorting to strong cleaning products – many of which are harmful to the environment and also your health. Here are some tips for tackling limescale the natural way.
Using Natural Ingredients
One of the best ways to get rid of limescale is by using natural ingredients that you already have in your kitchen cupboards. There are various substances which are kind to your home, your health and the environment but also pack a good punch where cleaning is concerned!
- White vinegar: Vinegar is a natural acid that can dissolve mineral deposits. For small areas, you can soak a cloth in vinegar and place it over the limescale for a few hours or overnight. For larger areas, you can mix equal parts of vinegar and water in a spray bottle, spray the affected area, and leave it for a few minutes before wiping it away with a cloth.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice is another natural acid that can remove limescale. Cut a lemon in half and rub it directly onto the limescale. Leave it for a few minutes before wiping it away with a cloth.
- Bicarbonate of soda: Bicarbonate of soda is an abrasive cleaner that can help remove limescale from surfaces. Mix bicarbonate of soda with water to create a paste and apply it to the affected area. Leave it for a few minutes before scrubbing it away with a brush or cloth. Bicarbonate of soda is also an excellent deodoriser which makes it a perfect cleaning agent for the bathroom.
- Citric acid: Citric acid is a natural acid that can dissolve limescale. Mix citric acid with water and apply it to the affected area. Leave it for a few minutes before wiping it away with a cloth.
- Steam cleaning: Steam cleaning is an effective way to remove limescale from surfaces such as tiles and shower screens without harsh chemicals. They use hot steam to loosen up dirt, grime and limescale so that it can be easily wiped away with a damp cloth or sponge. Steam cleaners are particularly useful for removing limescale from hard-to-reach areas such as showerheads, taps and tiles. Just make sure that you follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when using one!
- Using Preventative Measures: The best way to tackle limescale is by preventing it from forming in the first place! This can be done by installing a water conditioner which reduces the effect of minerals in your water supply, making it less likely that limescale will form on surfaces over time. A Halcyan Water Conditioner changes the way hard water behaves in your home, reducing the risk of limescale build-up.
Limescale can be a nuisance, but you don’t need harsh chemicals to get rid of it. There are many natural and effective ways to remove limescale from various surfaces in your home. White vinegar, lemon juice, bicarbonate of soda, citric acid, steam cleaning, and installing a Halcyan Water Conditioner are all effective methods to remove limescale without using harsh chemicals. So, the next time you notice limescale build-up, try one of these natural methods before reaching for the harsh chemicals.
If you’d like to find out more about the Halcyan Water Conditioner, you can explore our Knowledge Centre and find out how it works here. You can call our expert team on 0345 504 0656 for more information on how you can heat your water for less, by installing a Halcyan.
Why choose Halcyan?
Halcyan Water Conditioners is a British company based in Bristol and our alloy-based solution to hard water is unique to the UK. As leaders in our industry, our mission is to help our customers save money, save energy and save the planet with our eco-friendly, people-friendly water conditioners. We take huge pride in our customer satisfaction and our testimonials speak for themselves. With our 30 Year Warranty and our 12 Month Money Back Performance Guarantee, you can be sure that the Halcyan will keep your home scale free, making it easier to keep your home clean without the need for harsh chemicals.Learn More