Spring is the perfect time to tackle those household chores that have been neglected over the winter months. One of the most common and difficult tasks is getting rid of limescale, which can build up in sinks, showers, and other areas around the home. Here are some tips on how to get rid of limescale and keep your home clean and sparkling this spring.
What Is Limescale?
Limescale is a hard, chalky deposit that forms when hard water evaporates. It is made up of minerals such as calcium and magnesium. Hard water contains higher levels of these minerals than soft water, so it is more likely to form limescale in areas where it evaporates.
How To Prevent Limescale Build-Up
In an ideal world, the best way to prevent limescale build-up is to use softer water whenever possible. This can be done by installing a salt softener, or even more simply with a Halcyan Water Conditioner. You could also use a descaling agent in your washing machine or dishwasher but these are less reliable and not a long-term solution, nor does it target other areas in the home that are affected by limescale.
DIY Solutions For Removing Limescale
If you already have limescale build-up in your home, there are several DIY solutions you can try for removing it.
- Use white vinegar: Vinegar is a natural and effective solution for removing limescale. Simply mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle, and then spray the affected area. Leave the solution for 30 minutes before wiping the surface clean with a soft cloth.
2. Use lemon juice: Lemon juice is another natural solution that can effectively remove limescale. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into a spray bottle and then spray the affected area. Leave the solution for 30 minutes before wiping the surface clean with a soft cloth.
3. Use bicarbonate of soda: Bicarbonate of soda is a gentle abrasive that can help remove limescale. Mix a small amount of bicarbonate of soda with water to create a paste. Apply the paste to the affected area and scrub with a soft brush or sponge. Rinse the surface thoroughly with water.
4. Use white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda: Simply mix equal parts vinegar and bicarbonate of soda together into a paste and apply it directly onto the affected area with a sponge or cloth. Leave it for 10-15 minutes before scrubbing off.
5. Use commercial limescale removers: There are many commercial limescale removers available that can effectively remove limescale. These products usually contain acids such as phosphoric acid which help break down the mineral deposits quickly and easily without damaging surfaces or fixtures. Follow the instructions carefully, and wear gloves and eye protection when using these products. However if you’re environmentally conscious, you may wish to avoid these types of cleaning products and opt for sustainable preventative measures instead, such as a Halcyan.
6. Prevent limescale build-up: The best way to remove limescale is to prevent it from building up in the first place. Use a water conditioner to change the way hard water behaves in your home, and regularly clean and maintain surfaces that come into contact with water.
Limescale can be an annoying and even costly problem, but with proper prevention methods and regular cleaning it doesn’t have to be too difficult to keep your home free from this chalky deposit this spring season!
We recommend eco-friendly and people-friendly methods for limescale removal. If you’d like to know more about reducing the limescale in your home and preventing it from forming in the future, get in touch with us to find out more about the Halcyan Water Conditioner.
Why choose Halcyan?
Halcyan Water Conditioners is an industry-leading British company based in Bristol and our alloy-based solution to hard water is unique to the UK. We understand that limescale build up can be a frustrating and costly task with expensive cleaning agents not always guaranteed to work. Unlike most commercial limescale removers, our alloy-based Water Conditioner is an eco-friendly, people-friendly solution to hard water. It not only conditions the water in your home but also removes existing limescale from your pipes and appliances over time. With our 30 Year Warranty and our 12 Month Money Back Performance Guarantee, you can give your home the ultimate Spring Clean – worry free!Learn More